As a pet parent, you know it’s the status quo to expect the unexpected and prepare for anything. You also know that while your dog is *obviously the best and smartest creature alive*, they can sometimes also have, shall we say, adventurous palates resulting in costly emergency vet bills or surgeries. When it’s just a sock or a wad of paper towels, it’s not usually a major concern but there are other things that might be a much more dangerous snack in your home, like your houseplants. While this is by no means an exhaustive list, we picked out some of the most common dog-toxic houseplants to highlight.
If your dog exhibits any of the symptoms listed beneath these plants, we urge you to contact a 24 hour vet emergency hotline or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control line (888-426-4435) to get immediate treatment. To ensure your access to a 24/7 emergency helpline, lost and found services and more ahead of time, check out the BabelBark Alpha Pack Annual Membership.
Dogs should avoid all parts of this easy-to-grow plant. Jades toxin level is low, but it can still cause nausea and retching in dogs if ingested.
When ingested, the sunburn soothing aloe vera is toxic to dogs and can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, lack of appetite, or change in the color of urine.
Satin Pothos (also known as Silk Pothos)
The satin pothos plant is not deadly to dogs but can cause oral irritation, pain and swelling of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing if it’s ingested.
Similar to the satin pothos, this often long and trailing plant can cause oral irritation, pain and swelling of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing if dogs ingest it.
Lilies are extremely toxic to cats, and are said to have the potential to cause similar reactions in dogs. The most toxic lily types being the True lilies, including those of the Lilium or Hemerocallis species.
While this funky looking plant is fairly easy to care for but it’s worth keeping it out of reach of curious dogs. The entire plant is toxic and can cause: vomiting (sometimes with blood), depression, lack of appetite and drooling.
The increasingly popular ZZ plant will not harm your dog if ingested but it can cause some uncomfortable symptoms for them. These symptoms include: mucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth and lips, tongue, excessive drooling.
Bird of Paradise
All parts of this highly toxic plant are dangerous to dogs. If you have an overly curious pet, you may consider getting rid of this plant all together due to the severity of the possible reactions. Symptoms resulting from a dog ingesting any part of this plant are: mild nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, difficulty in breathing, less appetite, death.
This benign looking plant actually is home to a naturally occurring poison that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and rarely, abnormal heart rhythm.
While many use dried eucalyptus leaves for decoration, if your grow the live plant, even just the smell of eucalyptus oil is said to give your dog a bad mood! If ingested, reactions include: salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, weakness.
“34 Poisonous Houseplants for Dogs and Cats.” Balcony Garden Web, 4 Oct. 2018, balconygardenweb.com/poisonous-houseplants-for-dogs-plants-toxic-to-dogs/.
“Poisonous Plants.” ASPCA, ASPCA, 2019, www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants.